Saturday, January 5, 2008

Blog update 1

Hi there!

As fate saw it fit to bless me with a cold, I arrived in Edinburgh with a sore throat and running nose. I don't really know where to start, but let's try for the fact that it was snowing when I arrived at the airport, and from the taxi it looked really nice and had a Christmassy feeling to it. Unfortunately, it was also quite slippery the next morning. It didn't end up in a full contact situation between Figure (me) and Ground, but a couple of times it was rather close. However, the weather has been very nice (barely any rain, very cold but in a good way; will take pictures soon), and I must admit that was the least of my worries on Friday (2nd day).

Since I had no room (please don't ask for the details, suffice it to say that though it was the first it will also be the last time that I arrange anything 'a-bit-earlier-than-last-minute'), I had to be at Accommodations at 10am. My hotel was mostly chosen because it was conveniently close: a mere 15 minute walk if not less. I had printed my google map, and everything was fine. Except for the fact that I had not foreseen the power of my poor sense of direction. Not only did it take me almost 1.5 hour to get to the place, I asked no less than 7 people for directions! Edinburghians are very friendly and helpful, though.
To demonstrate how poor it was: At a certain point I was told that it was really easy to get where I wanted and I was instructed to simply walk straight ahead, one straight line (shown in black); my valiant attempt to carry it out was rather less successful (red line).


Or maybe it was Providence because my mistake brought me much closer to my actual target (which was Holyrood Park Road rather than Holyrood Road).
Below you see a reconstruction of how I walked from my hotel (A) to the Accommodations Centre (B); incidentally, C denotes my room, D university buildings where I have classes (including Library).


Having arrived at my destination, I found out that nothing had been done and that the first appointment(!) could be made at Tuesday. But, again, everybody was helpful and I got to view a room immediately, and could move in from Saturday onwards. The room is terribly expensive, not very big, and I have to share with three other students (two of which are American: Texas, Ohio; and one who I haven't met with yet. They are also obsessed with turning off the light (a commendable stand but one can overdo it) and fire.
Notably, the room has internet access -- sort of. I got it because I killed the phone (inspired by Jos Pacilly's 'how to build a microphone when all you have is a speaker'). In any case, I have internet access!

Friday after viewing the room and before I could move in I had an appointment with Patrick Honeybone (director of studies, coordinator Erasmus programme, and most interestingly, phonologist). Edinburgh is amazing with regard to talking phonology (or linguistics)! There are weekly meetings on various topics, ranging from 'developmental phonology' to 'Language evolution and computation'.
As to the courses I'm taking:
- Historical Phonology
- English Word-Formation (i.e. morphology)
(others are still being discussed/mulled over/etc.)

One important thing that needs to be told: I went into a little second-hand bookshop, and discovered a gem among all those books: Segmental Phonology in Optimality Theory (Lombardi)!! It really made my day! I even bought an additional sociolinguistics book (no clue why, but at least it's about different Englishes) and a compilation of short stories called "New Scottish Writing".

Finally, Scots are NOT ugly. To say that I'm in heaven would be exaggerating quite a bit, but there's nothing wrong with them :D.

Now, I think I have covered most of what I've done. As for the near future: tomorrow 11am International Students' Meeting; Monday classes start! Oh, did I mention I only have to walk a mere 7-10 minutes from my room to university?

My apologies for the length of this post, next time I'll try to keep it shorter.

Good luck with your papers, bikes, jobs, lovelife, and more!

Cheers for now,
Beata


"Snow on Christmas Day is the icing on the cake, really" - Edinburgh Airport Taxi Driver

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you out there to make me jealous?! That Lombardi book sounds sooooo cool! Not to mention being in Edinburg all together, with snow and cute Scots ;) and very fine library opening hours :O

Are you really sharing one room with three others? As in no privacy ever? Well, as long as they're okay and also phono/linguistics obsessed...

keep us posted! I like long blogs, as long as they're interesting (a)

Unknown said...

Those little maps made my day, or rather night. As did the Jos Pacilly reference.
How's your Scottish English coming on? Oh, also, if you happen to meet Sean Biggerstaff (a.k.a. Oliver Wood, or: the only good thing about the first two Harry Potter movies), tell him I said hi ;)

Corianne said...

Ehm.... are you sure it's just a mere 7-10 minutes?? Keeping in mind the maps with the yellow, black and red lines?? :P

Unknown said...

I missed the well-deserved malt to warm you up after all that bodily excercise in your story... was that edited out, or were you so happy to have finally found your way through Edinborrow (as I recently heard it pronounced) that didn't dare venture out anymore?

Making me jealous too - forget Lombardi, hurray for Morphology!! Though it would be even more fun to do comparative morphology... But at least it will prevent you from going all phono-crazy ;-)

Hope you'll soon find your way through Edinborough - in a figurative sense as well literally!

Noëlle Hoorneman said...

Just found your blog and it made my day. :) I have laughed so hard about your maps and stories.
I hope you will find your way without too much troubles from now on, but I'm looking forward to other funny stories. :)
Noëlle

Beata said...

to tessa:
First off, you didn’t do badly at all at that psycho exam, hahaha! I must admit that I haven’t yet read anything from the Lombardi book yet… shame on me, I know! Also, I haven’t yet stayed till 12 midnight in the library.. gaah – what have I been doing here!? ;). Nooo! No sharing a room! Heavens, no! It’s more like sharing a corridor which isn’t a corridor, but actually a strange staircase and hallway and I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves (whenever they arrive). Oh, they’re not linx, but they are into English literature, so I can handle that quite easily. And I can spread secret phonological knowledge, mwhuahuahuahuhua!

Beata said...

to hanna:
Scottish English is unfortunately being butchered, because of a serious lack of natives. I resorted to listening to Scottish radio, though. So hopefully that will work; and I keep on working on those natives! Hahahahahaha! Is he really called that!? Heavens! I will, if I happen to run into him. Btw, it’s fun to actually buy stuff at Tesco and Sainsbury’s :D.

Beata said...

to corianne:
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! Yeah, it’s actually less: 5-7 minutes! Hahahahaha! I really think this is my favourite comment; hehehe.

Beata said...

to susan:
Well, I was all on my own and quite ill (severe cold) by the time I got home, so I didn’t dare on any single malts, no matter how justified ;). *shudders at pronunciation of Edinborrow* Argh! The morphology class, I must admit, is my least favourite one… and it’s even less ‘universal’ than in Leiden: it really focuses on English only, which is a bit of a shame; but maybe it’ll get better :). ‘sides, I got class from Heinz Giegerich!

Beata said...

to noëlle:
Hi!! It was such a pleasant surprise to read your post! Quite probably it actually was the incentive to write the new one I'm working on now :). Fewer mishaps since the previous post, but I’m sure to keep you apprised of all (mis-)fortunes. How are you anyway? You could mail if you don’t want to post it all over the world wide web ;). In any case, take care!

Noëlle Hoorneman said...

Hi Beata,

I coudn't find your email address, so please email me on noellehoorneman1 @ hotmail.com!

take care,
Noëlle