Sunday, January 13, 2008

Errh - update 2?

Hi there!

(note: the post contains various topics; feel free to skim through paragraphs, but don’t take huge leaps as you might miss my wanderings around campus or the discussion on budget kilts)

Thank you very much for all your comments; I enjoyed reading all of them! And I imagine it's time for another update. So, I've been living here for over a week, and am still not done shopping; however, I now am the proud owner of three pairs of shoes and a supplementary conditioner to my shampoo (for which I had to walk through half of Edinburgh to find). Ranking all alone at the top of my wish list: bed linen (and duvet). I have a blanket, mind you; it's not as if I'm freezing in bed. The opposite actually, not only is the heating always on (there's a choice between hot and very-hot) but the blanket is 100% synthetic.

The warmth is needed, though, as the temperature is balancing near the freezing point. However, it's still very pleasant; mostly dry and when the sun shines it truly is beautiful. As I was walking back from Princess Street (shopping street) I saw the city with on the background some hills and a beautiful sky; truly, I will probably never love a city as I do Edinburgh. Leiden pales in comparison, even though it has a charm of its own as well. Edinburgh, however, breathes history, is covered in mystery, and invites you to love it.

Suffice it to say that I like being here. Now, this has been partly due to the fact that I have struck up a friendship with a group of international students from Europe (Sweden, Italy, Germany, Czech Republic, and the Netherlands) and Puerto Rico:


We go out for dinner, drinks, trips, and more. Below a picture of Anna, a sweet Swedish girl, who studies Biology (at Uppsala University):


Also, particularly interesting to the lovers of Mother Nature, I went to Loch Lomond. Loch Lomond is the largest body of inland water in Britain; it is one of the longest Scottish lochs and also one of the deepest. Arguably, it has been deemed the most beautiful of Scottish lochs. You will certainly agree that this sounds quite interesting. However, reality was a bit of a disappointment: we could only walk around a small fraction of the lake and though it wasn’t raining it was quite foggy and we couldn’t see much. It was a nice walk, though!




As to my study programme: I have had class from [insert drum roll here] Heinz Giegerich! (A name which I hope is familiar to all students of English.) Additionally, I have signed up for another course: Maturational Constraints on Language Acquisition (MCLA), which deals with the critical period of learning: basically, there’s this idea that certain aspects of language can only be learned within a particular limited period of time: outside of this ‘window of opportunity’ learning will not be fully successful, thus accounting for the fact that second language learners are unable to achieve native-like proficiency; mind you, this is a mightily simplified picture, I might write more later (or in a separate post).

By now I’ve had classes for a week here and although they are generally very similar to Leiden (especially the English department) there are some interesting differences between Edinburgh and Leiden. First off, linguistics is popular here, and I mean really popular: courses have over 80 students! Imagine a room stuffed with native speakers, it’s quite intimidating to tell you the truth…
Another difference is the fact that the reading lists are of a different nature: in the Netherlands (or anywhere else as far as I know) you usually receive a list of books and/or articles, which you have to read, and that’s it. Here, however, you receive a list, which is, say, thrice as long as a ‘normal’ reading list; you shouldn’t read all of it but it is a recommendation, rather, in the sense that you can use these books in the case you have trouble with the material or if you want to know more. Although theoretically it’s not a particularly difficult concept to grasp it is another matter when you are faced with it; however, I think it’s a great way to learn how to perform actual research, as well as acquiring skills to see what material is relevant for you, content-wise as well as quality-wise. As a bonus, you end up with a comprehensive reference list. :)

On a slightly related point, I hope to make some of you happy again… I got lost inside of a university building this time (notably, after I’d found the room the day before successfully), entering the correct building (Adam Ferguson Building) but ending up in an entirely different one (David Hume Tower) by some underground tunnels. Additionally, I was not able to find the library (which is truly incredible, both in quality and in size); I had to check at a map inside of one of the buildings, but I didn’t really want to look like a visiting student so I tried to walk slowly past to the map in a very inconspicuous way; naturally it didn’t work out and I had to go back and look carefully at it, only to find out that it was the building next-door a mere 10 metres away.

Browsing the internet, I also found this interesting piece of information on the phonotactics of English: Originally the word blue was pronounced with a vowel which was identical to the vowel of cue, approximately [iw]. In most dialects of English, [iw] shifted to [ju:]. Theoretically, this would produce **[blju:]. The cluster [blj], however, infringes the constraint for three-consonantal onsets in English. Therefore, the pronunciation has been reduced to [blu:] by elision of the [j]. I vaguely recall a discussion on this particular subject – isn't that right, Tessa?

Well, I guess you’re waiting for pictures of my room – you’re not going to get to see any until I buy a duvet (and possibly a poster or some pictures on the wall), because right now it looks quite awful. However, I do have pictures of the view from my flat!



Finally, there’s a huge discussion going on about Lidl kilts, which are going to be sold from the 21st of January (just before Burns night, a celebration of the life and poetry of the national poet of Scotland: Robert Burns, who was born on 25 January 1759, and wrote, among other things, the poem Auld Lang Syne ‘long long ago’ or literally ‘old long since’). In any case, Lidl is going to sell budget kilts for a mere £25 (a kilt usually costs over £100); but there is some controversy whether this is a good idea or not. I do not want to deprive you of this discussion, so if you have an opinion on this: let me know!

Next time: I’ll see whether I am allowed to take pictures in the library (if so, I will), and I have a trip to Glasgow planned for next week; hopefully some pictures of my room, and if -for some unfathomable reason- I can’t find any topic I’ll tell you about breakfast or about the strange tables they use here in class or the different brands of beer.

Again, I thank you very much for reading & your comments; responses to the ‘derivations’ can be found on the page they were posted (I’m going to ponder over how to respond to the comments/derivations in a better way, but this will have to do for now). A final piece of wisdom concerning the Scottish culture: a sporran is a pouch which is worn hanging from the belt over the front of the kilt.

Sorry again with regard to the length of the update (I’m quite sure it’s even longer than the previous one); however, you should relish these posts. They take up quite some time, and I cannot promise to keep up this posting rate.

Cheers,
Beata


“This is secret phonological knowledge which has been passed on to generations for years” – Lecturer at Edinburgh University


22 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know it was possible to leave a message.......
Ohhhh! Edinburgh sounds so great! So beautiful, so lovely,...so...everything!
The opening hours of the library.....wow!
That readinglist you were talking about....wow! But that is a Master course, isn't it?
Well, reading your blog makes me want to go to E.

enjoy your time!


All the best,
Diana

Corianne said...

Let's just state that I *don't* delight in you getting lost again. Let's just say that could've been me... ;)

Wow, everything sounds so great. Bytheway, I have been cursing Giegerich the past week for writing such a long and not-so-readable book, just don't let him know that :P

I love lengthy posts, gives me something to do at breakfast! ;)

Have fun in Edinburgh (I almost wanted to write "Edinbrugh"... :S )

Anonymous said...

Wow, that souns great fun. You're reminding me how much I love Edinburgh, now I want to go there : )
I've had reading lists like that for most of my later undergrad courses in sydney, really bothered me at first but yes I think it is good once you get used to the idea. Have fun!
Rebecca

Unknown said...

sounds like so much greatness, B! can't wait until your next post. :)

sjuu

Sander W said...

Hm, now I want to go back to Edinburgh! I almost miss the smell of roast pork/beef/rat that rises from the mysterious underground vaults where goblins cook their meals (it is true, go check it out!).
And of course you should buy a Lidl kilt! If only for the cult value.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed by your ‘full of feeling’ description of the Scottish nature. Obviously it is amazingly beautiful there with the magic in the air. You see you can be lost in most common, even small places if you don’t watch your steps… It is great that you have such a good time with your new friends and you are satisfied (still) with the studying. If you decide to have the Lidl kilt, please, don’t look in my direction.
Loves,
jr

Anonymous said...

Hey B!

Love your blog! But getting a little jealous right now! And not just because of the opening hours of the library. Hope you'll have a wonderful time and if you meet a sexy Scot, please give him my phone number!

Have Fun!

Hester

Anonymous said...

*trying hard to remember where I wanted to comment on again*

I remember that discussion, sure do ;) Wasn't it in Harris 1994? That discussion about /CCj/ whereby C1 is not C2, somewhere in the middle-end of the book. Oh how I miss phonology, syntax just isn't it for me. And you lucky bastard are taking classes from Giegerich!! Could you get him to sign my copy :P Or at least, please please please post a picture of him (with or without you next to him)! That way, I have two phono-Gods saved on my computer (a), and to comment on Corianne, what do you mean not-so-readable?! Have you ever tried to read Ewen & van der Hulst? Talking about not-so-readable... pfuh.

But you enjoy yourself there B! Make new friends and spread the religion (PHONO) ;)

Unknown said...

Hey, I had to learn a song about Loch Lomond in primary school! If I remember correctly, it went like, "Oh ye'll take the high road and I'll take the low road, and I'll be in Scotland afooooore you; and me and my true love will never meet again, on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Loooooomond."
Anyway, I can just picture you casually sauntering (yay! I've always wanted to use that word) past that map trying to figure out the way to the library... sounds like something I would do :P (don't know if I'd dare to admit it in public, though...).
Also, I passed my Phonology 1. With flying colours. Not that I'm very proud of it. Oh, and I have a (temporary, unfortunately, but you don't hear me complain) room in Utrecht, two minutes from UiL OTS, and it's even cheaper than my current room! *does a little happiness dance*

We miss you here! Trying not to talk about you and Liesbeth too much, so that Wendy and Josephine won't feel unwanted :P

Unknown said...

So let me get this straight... the same person who refused to make any morning appointments in Leiden because "mornings are for sleep" (and 11.30 a.m. still definitely counting as morning) is now delighted with these opening hours??

Linguistics does indeed do strange things to its students!

I checked whether the Edinborrow pronunciation person was the same person as the Edinborough spelling one (didn't want to make false accusations in my last post). Indeed they are, and she tells me there is a link between idiosyncratically wrong spellings and pronunciations - she just can't seem to get it out of her system. Mind you, she's the same person who insists on using the word "deathline", again both in spelling and pronunciation, instead of "deadline" - even though many people have pointed out to her that that's a bit misguided. And yes, she spent half a year in an English-speaking country...

The kind of person who'd make you want to do psychological linguistics, but alas, your course load is quite sufficient as it is - might even need to get up early and use the library in the morning!

Have fun with phonology - and if morphology turns out to be to English-oriented, the list of suggested reading might help out? Can't imagine you're not encouraged to do at least *some* comparative research?

Enjoy,

Susan

PS. You probably know my stance on that kilt...

Anonymous said...

Hey Beata,
sounds like you're having a brilliant time! Makes me long to go abroad again!!! (Feel the envy, haha)
I have a slight suspicion that you taking courses taught by Giegerich has launched an envy-attack on most Leiden-students...
Your pictures are gorgeous, it looks so beautiful!
Have a great time, looking forward to your next post.

Beata said...

to diana:
It is! I truly think it is the most beautiful city in the world. The reading lists are like this not only for MA students but from year one actually (the list I had in mind was for a 2nd year course). Take care and enjoy Leiden!

Beata said...

to corianne:
hehe - you have no idea how many people have been commenting that their sense of direction is just as... 'awkward' -- it makes me feel better! Giegerich is actually a very inspiring (and not at all boring) teacher! Unfortunately he has bee ill this week, so I didn't have classes :(. Edinbrugh - oh well, I make typos as well..... and: enjoy your breakfast!

Beata said...

to rebecca:
It is! Great fun, that is ;) And why don't you come over for a few days? :) Cool, thanks for the info on the reading lists -- I was already worrying that Scotland (UK?) was the only country with such odd habits. You have fun in Leiden! That's also studying abroad :p

Beata said...

to judith:
thanks! And here you are!

Beata said...

to sander w:
Don't forget the fried haggis... somebody ate a fried haggis worth 1 pound (I'll leave it to your imagines how black it was). The goblins cook their meals there? Well, actually I am going to check that.. either by way of a ghost tour or by venturing into the vaults all alone... and I'll remember your comment concerning the kilt!

Beata said...

to jr:
I hope you'll also enjoy the view from Arthur's Seat -- I imagine you will. Ok, I won't buy a kilt for you, but that doesn't mean I can't buy one for my brother! ;)

Beata said...

to hester:
Have seen quite some sexy Scots, the only problem is how to capture them, really. But I will do my utmost best!

Beata said...

to tessa:
I think it's still somewhere in your book; we were looking for clusters of the form /blj/ I think, or at least with /j/ in third onset position, I think.. could you check? :)
Errrhhhhhhhh....... sign your copy..... I am willing to tell you where his office is, but that's it. And I so am not going to ask him to pose for me (maybe at the end of the semester)! Spreading phono! I really do! hihi! Italians know about phono know, and Swedes! And I read something really interesting about (historical) phonology and sociolinguistics, check Dorina's hyves what it is about. I can send you the article (in pdf format) if you want. :D

Beata said...

to hanna:
hahaha! So Loch Lomond was certainly good for something beside fog! And I love the fact you used 'sauntering' > brilliant! Congrats on passing phonology (even if it's phono1)! O_O TWO MINUTES from UiL OTS!? You lucky girl! And cheaper as well! Cool! Double congrats!
I miss you too! It's a lot of fun here in Edinburgh, but living at the Van Hogendorpstraat was a unique experience, really. Please say hi to everybody for me!

Beata said...

to susan:
yeah, but I'm delighted at the fact that it's open until MIDNIGHT, quite frankly I didn't even look at the times that they actually open.. Actually, my habits have become worse really, I never go to bed before 2am any more, and 4am is becoming the norm. Which, even to me, is an odd norm.
Hahahahhahahahahahahahaha! Deathline?!?! Hilarious! Deathline! And in what English-speaking country did she learn that?
Well... I'm going to take a disorders course at the psychology department from February onwards, and the MCLA one really is neurolinguistics pur sang... that psycho enough for you? ;)
Still doubting about the whole morphology course -- we'll see. I am going to write an essay which is either theoretical or comparative, though. :)

Beata said...

to marina:
So, when are you joining me in the UK? You were planning on studying abroad again, weren't you?? Needless to say, I think you should come to Edinburgh!
Hahahhahahahahha! Well, tell them they can arrange for studying at Edinburgh, I am sure that they will consider "I want to take courses taught by Giegerich" a valid motivation! New post, freshly produced from the catacombs of my brain!